I know I have made a ton of mistakes and because of this I really feel like I can share more with you. After all, I know what not to do as well as what to do. However, there was a sad reality that I had recently. I was looking at an old article I wrote on HubPages way back when about working from home. It did make me a bit sad because I really haven’t built up the income that I had hoped in the time.
My Reported Income February 2008.
The article shares a little about my progress. I started writing August 2007 and wrote this article in February of 2008 (rather fitting that it was February). That February I was on target to make between $550 and 600 for the month. I know now that some things I was excited about and counting didn’t work out and I was never paid for those ventures. However, I did get a fair amount of the money and I was doing pretty good.
My Income February 2011.
The sad reality is that here it is February 2011 and I am on target to make less then I made in 2008. This is a really sad thing and could really get me down. Instead I feel a little excited because I despritely want to blow it all out of the water and do better than I have ever done before. However, it doesn’t look amazing or make people jump up and down. Yay! Your making less many after years of working at it!
What Went Wrong?
Okay knowing that there are a lot of things that I have done wrong, I figured I would share a few of them with you that went wrong and took me off the track of being successful in the last few years.
- First not everything I counted back then really paid me. This includes a number of PTC sites (you go there and click on the links you are supposed to make money from it and they never paid) and a few other easy ways to make money such as getting paid to sign up for stuff and a few survey sites. This makes my actual earnings a lot lower and once I learned they didn’t pay I stopped counting them (and working on them).
- Second I haven’t busted butt very much. It takes a lot of content to make a lot of money and I have now learned that it also takes a lot of backlinks to make a lot of money. I have never backlinked anything because I didn’t really like doing it and I haven’t really written much in the last several years. I have nearly 1000 articles on Helium but that is because they were written when I got paid upfront and took the money and ran. The few sites I want to focus on include HubPages where I have less then 150 hubs, InfoBarrel where I have just over 200 articles, Xomba where I have less then 15 articles, and Squidoo where I have 3 lenses. That’s not very much writing and I am just now starting to backlink.
- I decided to freelance. I wanted more money now and decided I would give a go at freelance writing. I worked hard and made a fair amount of money. However, it was all money now and I burned myself out. I started in July of 2009 and stopped in February of 2010. However, I didn’t write hardly anything from February to October. So I lost more than a year.
- One of my biggest money makers changed its policies and I went from making about $120 a month with them to making nothing. That took a lot to recover from because while I firmly believe that having a lot of eggs in a lot of baskets is important, I hadn’t done enough building to actually make it happen.
- I haven’t worked hard enough. It is hard working with two young children in the house. However, I haven’t gotten focused and worked really hard to produce a lot of really great content. I have worked at getting that content making a lot of money. All in all, it hasn’t been something I have worked hard enough on or gotten enough done.
I really feel that I can make a huge difference this next year. My goal is to be making $1500 a month by time December rolls around, but there is a small part of me that would like to make $1000 a month by June of this year which would mean that I would hope to make more than $1500 a month by December. All in all, I feel that I have made my mistakes, learned from them, and am on my way to some amazing things.